Some may think graduating from college debt free is just a dream. However, it may be a surprise to find out there ARE colleges offering a high-quality education at a very low cost. Berea College is one of those institutions where every student receives a Tuition Promise Scholarship and 1 in 3 students graduates debt free.
About Berea College
Founded by ardent abolitionists in 1855, Berea College sits in the heart of Kentucky – just South of Lexington. Berea has a rich background in the Christian faith and continues today as a prominent educational institution that is well-rooted with its historical purposes and mission. It was also the first interracial and coeducational college established in the South.
Affordable higher education has been at the heart of Berea’s mission since its founding. Currently, 1,600 students are enrolled – primarily from the Appalachian region and the Commonwealth of Kentucky. However, Berea’s enrolled students come from over 40 states and 60 countries. Nearly 8% come from Ohio – 40 of those students come from Hamilton County. Berea provides this free education for students who have high academic ability and financial need. Check out some other facts on Berea here.
Programs at Berea College
Berea College offers rigorous undergraduate programs leading to arts and science degrees and has one of the top liberal arts programs in the country. Its students participate in a nationally recognized labor program in which Berea is one of seven federally recognized Work Colleges.
Berea’s academic programs are nationally recognized and they offer:
- Bachelor degrees in 32 majors, including arts and sciences and select professional programs, as well as independent, student-designed majors, and a dual-degree engineering program in cooperation with the University of Kentucky.
- First and longest-lasting college-affiliated nursing program west of the Allegheny Mountains.
- 15 teacher education programs.
- 19 national, international, and collegiate academic honor societies.
- Student/faculty undergraduate research opportunities in multiple fields; more than 50 students conduct research with faculty on campus each summer.
- Berea offers 250 internships each summer, and most of these are paid by the College.
- A variety of career development opportunities are offered in the Center for Transformative Learning.
- Accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges since 1926.
Admissions with Berea College
Berea sets high academic standards for enrolling students and its students must have a financial need. To learn more about the admissions process, please visit: https://www.berea.edu/admissions/academic-requirements/
All information about Berea College was pulled from https://www.berea.edu/ – please visit their site to learn more about their tuition and programs!